The National Pork Producers Council advises the next time you host a group of international visitors at your farm, make sure all of these precautions are taken:
* No contact with livestock for at least 48 hours before the visit.
* Shower-in, shower-out, if possible.
* Have visitors completely wash their hands including scrubbing their fingernails.
* Supply a complete set of coveralls and boots. If disposable, collect immediately in a plastic bag and burn them. If not disposable, immediately wash in hot, soapy water and disinfect.
* Supply a two-strap dust mask for all visitors.
* Control traffic flow; allow visitors only in carefully selected areas.
* Don't permit cameras, equipment or other items that can't be properly disinfected into areas where livestock are housed.