Theme for the 2013 Michigan Professional Pork Producers Symposium is “Doing the Right Thing,” set for Feb. 21 at The Lansing Center at Michigan State University, Lansing, MI. Register at www.mipork.org.
Morning highlights include:
- Secure Pork: Disease Awareness, Preparedness, Response and Recovery by Patrick Webb, DVM, Swine Health Programs, National Pork Board;
- Alternative Feed Ingredients for Pigs by Hans Stein, professor of animal science, University of Illinois;
- Sow Cards and Sow Longevity by Madonna Benjamin, DVM, Extension swine veterinarian, Michigan State University.
Buffet lunch and awards program speaker is Neil Dierks, chief executive officer, National Pork Producers Council.
Afternoon topics include:
- Handling Pigs by Janice Siegford, Michigan State University Department of Animal Science;
- Sow Housing Economics by Ron Bates, Beth Ferry and Roger Betz, Michigan State University;
- Improvest Update by Jim Bradford, DVM, Pfizer Animal Health;
- Alternatives to Antimicrobials by Dale Rozeboom, Michigan State University Extension.