Pfizer Animal Health has announced the inaugural winners of the company's "10 under 40" swine veterinarian award program. The biennial program recognizes 10 veterinarians under the age of 40 who are making significant contributions to swine medicine.
βAnything we can do at Pfizer Animal Health to place the spotlight on deserving animal care leaders is a goal we strive to accomplish as part of our Commitment to Veterinarians,β says Steve Sornsen, DVM, senior director, pork technical services at Pfizer Animal Health. βThe 10 under 40 program recognizes the success and dedication of young swine veterinarians, and we are privileged to work with and recognize these leaders who are doing their part to help pave the way for the future of our industry,β he adds.
An independent panel of judges selected 10 deserving veterinarians out of nearly 60 nominees. The award was open to members of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians under 40 years of age, residing in the United States, in practice, academic or consulting capacities. Nominees were to devote a minimum of 60% of their time to swine medicine.
The winners include:
- Tara Donovan, DVM β Donovan serves as vice president of health management at The Hanor Family of Companies, Spring Green, WI.
- Jason Hocker, DVM, β As a partner at AMVC and managing partner of AMVC Production in Audubon, IA, Hocker was also the lead organizer of the Iowa State University/AMVC Swine Medicine Education Center.
- Marlin Hoogland, DVM, β In Algona, IA, Hoogland acts as the Midwest lead finishing veterinarian at Murphy-Brown Western Operations.
- Darin Madson, DVM, β Madson is an assistant professor in the Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory at Iowa State University in Ames, IA.
- Jeremy Pittman, DVM β Pittman serves as staff veterinarian at Murphy-Brown North Division in Waverly, VA. He is also an adjunct faculty member at North Carolina State University.
- Sarah Probst Miller, DVM β Probst Miller recently started her own business, AgCreate Solutions, Inc. She is based out of Monticello, IL.
- Chris Rademacher, DVM β Rademacher is the director of production improvement at Murphy-Brown Western Operations in Ames, IA.
- Cameron Schmitt, DVM, β In Independence, IA, Schmitt is one of the owners and veterinarians at Pipestone Veterinary Clinic of Iowa.
- Matthew Turner, DVM β Turner serves as staff veterinarian at Prestage Farms in Clinton, NC and is also an adjunct professor at North Carolina State University.
- Amy Vincent, DVM, β Vincent is a veterinary medical officer at the United States Department of Agricultureβs Agriculture Research Service. She works at the National Animal Disease Center in Ames, IA.
Winners received a trip to the Allen D. Leman Swine Conference, Sept. 17-20, 2011 in St. Paul, MN. The selected individuals were honored at the conference and are being featured in communications about the program. Learn more about Pfizerβs Commitment to Veterinarians and get to know the exceptional 10 under 40 winners at http://PfizerPork.com/10Under40.