Five animal welfare projects have been selected for funding by the National Pork Board’s Animal Welfare Committee:
- University of Minnesota: Predictors of the incidence of injury, fatigue and mortality in transported hogs.
- University of Illinois: The frequency of the HAL-1843 mutation of the RYR gene in dead and non-ambulatory pigs on arrival at the packing plant.
- Prairie Swine Centre, Inc: Comparison of management factors affecting aggression in group-housed sows.
- Kansas State University: The effects of feeding schedule on body condition, aggressiveness and reproductive failure in group-housed sows.
- University of Guelph: How does drinking behavior influence feed intake and the development of behavior problems in newly weaned pigs?