A series of informational meetings on proposed federal environmental regulations is set for the week of June 18 across Iowa.
The sessions are being sponsored by Iowa State University (ISU) and the state’s commodity organizations. Admission is free and pre-registration is not necessary.
"The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has extended the date for comment submission and we want to encourage people to send in their comments and concerns," says Jerry DeWitt, ISU Extension agriculture and natural resources interim director. Information on how to submit comments will be provided. July 30 is submission deadline.
The EPA proposed rules deal with animal feeding operation (AFO) and confined animal feeding operation (CAFO) topics.
Dates and times across Iowa are:
- June 18—Peosta, Northeast Iowa Community College, 7-9 p.m.
- June 19—Calmar, Northeast Iowa Community College, 1-3 p.m.
- June 19—Washington, Knights of Columbus Hall, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
- June 20—Ames, ISU Memorial Union, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- June 20—Lewis, Wallace Foundation Learning Center, 7-9 p.m.
- June 21—Sheldon, Northwest Iowa Community College, 1:30-3:30 p.m.
- June 21—Cherokee, Western Iowa Tech Community College, 7-9 p.m.
For specific directions to sites, contact your county Extension office.
A guide for submitting written comments is available on the Iowa Manure Management Action Group Web site at http://extension.agron.iastate.edu.