Ohio State University's 2010 Manure Science Review will be held on Aug. 19, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., in Continental, OH. The program features 10 educational sessions on handling, managing and utilizing manure.
The morning program will be held at the American Legion Hall in Continental and the afternoon sessions will take place at the Weller Farm (directions provided upon registration).
The morning topics and speakers include:
- Lake Erie Phosphorus (P) Task Force, Kevin Elder, Livestock Environmental Permitting Program, Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA).
- Lake Erie EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentives Program), Mark Scarpitti, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS), USDA.
- Control Structures for Managing Nutrients, Larry Brown, Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center (OARDC) and OSU Extension.
- Nitrification Inhibitors, Robert Mullen, OARDC and OSU Extension.
- Manure Plot Study Results, Glen Arnold, OSU Extension, and Albert Maag, Putnam Soil and Water Conservation District.
- Tile Control Structures, Arnold and Maag.
- Cover Crop Plots, Arnold and Maag.
- Smoking Field Tile, Frank Gibbs, NRCS, USDA.
- Shallow Tillage, Arnold, Maag and Scarpitti.
- Manure Side-dress, Arnold and Maag.
The full-day program qualifies for five continuing-education hours under ODA's Certified Livestock Manager (CLM) program. Certified Crop Advisor (CCA) credits are also available: 4.5 continuing education units (CEUs) for Soil and Water and 0.5 CEU for Nutrient Management.
The program is sponsored by OARDC, OSU Extension, the Ohio Department of Natural Resources' Division of Soil and Water Resources, ODA, NRCS, and the Ohio Livestock Coalition. Registration costs $25/person before Aug. 13, $30/person afterward. Continental breakfast and lunch are included. Register by sending your name, address, e-mail address and check made payable to "OARDC/OSU" to Mary Wicks, OARDC/OSU, Agricultural Engineering Building, 1680 Madison Ave., Wooster, OH 44691. For more information, contact Wicks at 330-202-3533 or email email@example.com.